Healthy Bodies!

Hi guys,

Last week all of the grade 5’s started a poster on our physical profile. Physical Profile Poster. It had to be A3 and it included the following; what I eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner and drinks. Any snacks I eat during the day, exercise (formal and informal), and how many hours I sleep. We also had to have a small box for our height. Our last box was our fitness testing, and we went outside to do this:

For our fitness testing, as a class we did these 6 things: we did the sit & reach, pulse rate, balance on one leg, sit ups, 20 metre sprint and beep test. The sit & reach tests our flexibility, the pulse rate tests our aerobic fitness, the balance tests our balance, the sit ups tests our core strength, the beep test tests our cardio respitory endurance, and the 20 metre sprint tests our speed. Below is a table I made, and it shows how well I did.

Sit & Reach Test Left Leg 17 cm +
Right Leg 16 cm +
Both Legs 18 cm +
Balance On One Leg Test Left Leg 3 minutes
Right Leg 3 minutes
Pulse Rate Test Resting Pulse 10 sec – 10 1 min – 60
1 min Star Jumps 10 sec – 18 1 min – 108
Sit Ups Test 1 minute 18 Sit Ups
20 metre Sprint 20 metres 3.94 seconds
Beep Test Endurance 8.9 beeps

SLEEP: The required hours of sleep for my age is 10 – 11 hours. I believe I am getting 11 hours of sleep because I go to sleep at 9:00 and I wake up at 8:00. Almost 12 hours!!!

PULSE RATE: The resting pulse rate for the children my age is 60 – 100 beats per minute. My heart beats exactly 60 times a minute – 10 times in ten seconds!

Overall, I think that I eat pretty healthily. I have a sandwich everyday, lots of fruit everyday and some veggies. I am allergic to dairy, nuts, egg and sesame, so I am missing  a lot of calcium. I love ice cream though!

Here are 10 interesting facts about vitamins and minerals:

1. ‘Vita’ means life
  2. Vitamin D was  found to cure rickets, a bone deformity disease
  3. There are 13 vitamins all together
  4. All the vitamins were finally discovered in the 1930’s
  5. Vitamins are divided into two types: water-soluble and fat-soluble.
  6. We can make Vitamin D from the amount of sunlight on our skin
  7. Vitamin A maintains healthy skin and eyes
  8. Minerals form a body’s backbone
  9. Calcium – Forms the structure of bones and teeth; assists nerve function, muscle contraction, enzyme activity and blood clotting.
  10. Iron – Transports oxygen around the body via red blood cells; important part of many enzymes and muscle protein.

These facts came from this website: http://www.healthyfood.co.nz/articles/2006/december/the-facts-about-vitamins-and-minerals

How many Vitamins and Minerals do you think you get?

How much exersise do you do?

Do you walk to and from school?

One thought on “Healthy Bodies!