To The Zoo We Come!

Finally it’s the school holidays! They couldn’t come quick enough for me!

During the first week, I was lucky enough to go to the Melbourne Zoo. My friend Gemma came with us, but I think everyone took advantage of the nice weather on Tuesday because it was a total traffic jam when we tried to drive in. It took us twenty minutes to just find a park, but then mum said that we should queue up around the back because it would be quicker. Sure enough, we grabbed a map and some of the zoo brochures and rushed out towards the reptile house. My brother, Fintan, brought a friend as well and his name was Jacob, and he told us he was really good at reading a map, so he started with it while Fintan was holding the bag that had the drink bottles in it.

Jacob directed us to the reptile house and we saw lots of animals including snakes, lizards, turtles and frogs. It was really dark in there, and there were some tanks that had mysterious purple lamps lighting up the room. We stepped out into the blinding sunshine and then swapped over the map and the bag. Now Gemma chose to visit the giant turtles, that were really boring because they didn’t do anything but sleep. After some wandering around, we ended up looking at the Australian animals. We saw koalas, emus, wombats and Tasmanian devils while we were following the trail.

Once we had finished looking at them, everyone started to get hungry. Yet again, we swapped the bag and the map around and found a place to sit down. It was on a big grassy area where there were lots of busy families and stalls selling food and drinks around it. Mum gave us some money to buy an icy pole each and then we watched everyone go passed and looked at the map that I was now holding to see where we wanted to go next. I suggested that we go to the hippos, but Fintan wanted to see the crocodiles. Mum then said that we could visit three more animals and then we had to go home. We wandered over to where the crocodiles rested and  Gemma and I looked at the penguins, who were playing cheerfully in an enclosure next to the crocs. They were so cute! When it was time to go home, we had a competition to see who could find out car amongst the sea of colours that were all parked around ours. Gemma won and soon we were heading back home. At least there were other things to look forward to for the rest of the holidays!